- How it works
- Type of laser
- Is treatment permanent?
- How many hair removal treatments will I need?
- Pre-treatment instructions
- Treatment day
- Post-treatment instructions for Laser Hair Removal
The science of laser hair removal is rooted in targeting melanin, also called pigment. This is the substance that provides the natural color of skin, hair and iris of the eye. During the laser hair removal process, the melanin in hair follicles is targeted to deactivate them and inhibit further growth, while preventing the overheating of skin and surrounding tissues.
Le Lux Beautique utilize top-of-the-line lasers made by Candela (Syneron). Our Candela GentleYAG lasers with integrated cryogenic skin cooling are considered by experienced professionals to be the best lasers available for hair removal. GentleYAG is used for hair removal on all skin colors including very dark and tanned skin. Candela lasers with cryogenic skin cooling provide the most comfortable treatments of any laser hair removal device.
On average, each laser treatment will be associated with some permanent hair loss. So in most cases hair removal can only be achieved after several treatments. The number of treatments will depend on each patient’s individual response to laser therapy, and the amount of hair to be removed. Remember that the goal may not be total hair removal. Many patients are happy with a reasonable degree of hair reduction. Very often the hair that remains is often lighter in color and thinner than the original hair prior to laser therapy.
You may need to be treated about 5 to 7 times at approximately 6 to 10 week intervals. Le Lux Beautique offers a series of laser treatments to maintain consistency.
- 6 Weeks: Electrolysis, waxing, threading, tweezing or plucking is to be avoided between sessions, however shaving is encouraged
- 2-3 Weeks: No natural or artificial tanning (which includes tanning beds and spray tans) anytime within 2-3 weeks before your session.
- 2 Weeks: Avoid any deep exfoliation treatments or creams containing a chemical exfoliator for 2 weeks pre and post treatment, such as microdermabrasion, retin-A, or glycolic Acid.
- Please shave the entire area you desire treated the day before your planned treatment.
- Do not apply any perfumes, deodorant or make-up to the desired area the day of your treatment.
- Use a broad spectrum SPF 30 (or greater) sunblock before AND after your treatments.
- Provide your technician with an accurate and up to date medical history in order to receive safe and effective treatments.
- You may also notice during and immediately after your session the smell of burned hairs. This is normal.
- Cool packs may be applied to help alleviate discomfort.
- Do not rub, or pick the treated area
- Avoid any deep exfoliation treatments or creams containing a chemical exfoliator for 2 weeks pre and post treatment, such as microdermabrasion, retin-A, or glycolic Acid
- Avoid strenuous sports activities or hot water/ saunas/ jacuzzi for 3 days.
- No deodorant for 24 to 48 hours if underarm was treated.
- Continue to use sunblock for the duration of your treatments.
- Makeup may be used immediately after treatment unless there is epidermal blistering. It is recommended to use ONLY NEW makeup to reduce the possibilities of infection.
- You should apply an antibiotic ointment twice daily to blisters, crusted or irritated skin and call the office immediately.
- Immediately after your treatment there likely will be some slight redness, swelling around the hair follicles and mild discomfort similar to a sunburn. You may apply Hydrocortisone cream twice a day for three days as needed for redness, irritation and swelling.
- If you experience any discomfort at the treatment site, you may take a non-aspirin pain reliever.
Laser Hair Removal: Your session typically is scheduled in 4 -6 weeks for facial areas, 6-8 weeks for torso and below the waist. Interruption of this schedule may cause less than optimal results.
Vein Treatment: Most people need 4-6 months, which consists of a full series of 4-6 treatments about 1 month apart.
Photo Rejuvenation: Most people need 3-5 months, which consists of a full series of 3-5 treatments about 1 month apart.