- What is ThermiVa
- How It Works
- Pre-treatment instructions
- Post-treatment instructions
ThermiVa is a non-invasive no down time therapy designed to rejuvenate the internal and external anatomical parts of the vagina and vulva. With ThermiVa Radio Frequency (RF) energy is utilized to strengthen and tighten the internal and external vaginal tissues by stimulating collagen. While ThermiVa is intended for skin tightening, patients often report additional benefits such as increased sensation, increased moisture, and improvement in symptoms of stress urinary incontinence.
Your experience begins with a private consultation where your provider will review your concerns and answer any questions that you have. For your series of treatments you can expect the following:
- Treatment takes 1 hour or less with no downtime or discomfort. No numbing is required.
- Ultrasound gel will be applied to the tissues for comfort.
- A disposable wand-like device is used to treat the tissues, most patients feel it is like a warm stone massage. Throughout the treatment the applicator is in constant motion to distribute the RF energy. Clients often report that the constant motion also helps with any possible discomfort from the heat.
- All normal activities can be resumed immediately following including intimacy.
Many patients notice improvements within a day or two of their first treatment, while others need a week or two to experience a difference. Results continue to improve over several weeks following treatment as the body produces new collagen in the vaginal tissues. For best results, a series of 3 treatments spaced approximately 1 month apart are recommended. Results may vary from patient to patient.
The RF waves experience natural resistance from the skin as they penetrate the various layers causing the skin to heat up. Heating the dermis modifies the original properties of collagen fibers. They thicken and contract in response to the heat. This is what leads to immediately visible improvements. Heat also causes long-term collagen remodeling, which is how skin improvements and tightening continue a number of weeks after treatment. The inflammatory response of the skin to the wounds induced by heat leads to additional collagen synthesis as part of the healing process.
Although the ThermiVa equipment does not have any manufacturer declared contraindications, it is advised not to treat patients with the following conditions:
- Patients with implantable devices, such as but not limited to pacemakers, imbedded defibrillators, and Cochlear ear implant
- Active Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Current urinary tract infection
- Nerve insensitivity to heat anywhere in the treatment area, since ongoing feedback by a patient during a procedure is required
Alternative treatment may be suggested if you have any of the following conditions:
- Greater than stage 2 pelvic organ prolapse
- Recent vaginal surgery or fillers
- Shave your pubic area a few days before the treatment.
- If you’ve had bladder surgery then you’ll need approval from your surgeon.
- You cannot not have any active lesions such as herpes or warts.
- You can plan drive yourself to and from the treatment.
- If you are prone to urinary tract infections, we encourage you to see your primary provider for recommendation on taking an antibiotic before treatment to help prevent a UTI.
- If you are prone to yeast infections, we encourage seeing your primary provider for recommendation on taking a Diflucan tablet before the treatment to prevent one.
- If treated externally skin may be slightly pink to red, swollen and warm to the touch for approximately one hour.
- Possibility of mild cramping which should resolve in 24 hrs.
- Light spotting may occur immediately post procedure.
- Normal physical and sexual activity may be resumed unless otherwise directed by your provider.
- No restrictions on showering, bathing, swimming or hot tubes.
- Contact us immediately for any bleeding or pain lasting longer than 24 hours that cannot be resolved with over the counter medication.